Thursday, August 26, 2010

Getting Settled in La Serena :)

It has been some time since I have written on here! I may have gotten a bit caught up" in the (laaaaaaid back) Chilean way of life. Needless to say, I've been enjoying myself :)

Right now I am hanging out at the house after having "almuerzo" (lunch) at my host-house. Every day I come home from school to have lunch with Alejandra (my host mom), Fernanda, and Paula (my host sisters). Almuerzo is a big deal here...a large meal with lots of great food. Today, we had steamed artichokes with lemon + vinegar for an app, then a plate full of chicken in special broth with potatoes + carrot, lettuce, and a tomato + onion salad. Oh, and, of course, bread...freshly made today. It'd be an understatement to say I look forward to lunch every day... :)

On Thursdays I only have one class, so it's a very relaxed day. To switch things up in the classroom this week, I've been teaching the kids an American song. Every class picked to learn the song Jason Mraz "I'm Yours"...and let me just say...after 16, 45 minute classes of teaching this song, I NEVER want to hear the song again. However, something about the kids smile at the end of class when they understand the song and they can actually sing along, gives me some energy to continue one with the next "curso" (grade).

After class I spent about an hour watching the 11th grade gym class rehearse various dances for the 18th of September. The "Fiestas Patrias" is a week long celebration of Chile's independence from Spain. This is a HUGE (huge is an understatement) deal here. How so? Well...we get one, whole week of school off, everyone in Chile is already preparing for the day (hence evidenced by the high school's month - early dance preparations), and it comes up in nearly every conversation. Upon that, this year it is an even bigger deal because 2010 marks Chile's 200 years of independence...the "Bicentenario" (bicentennial). I CANNOT WAIT for September to come around...lots of food, dancing, food, wine, dancing, food, food food food foooooood....

For the last few weeks I've been helping out one of the gym teachers, Michael, with his gym class b/c...drum roll...they are playing field hockey!!!!!!! The PE department had actually just purchased the sticks right before I got here in July, and it was by mere coincidence that the school started to learn "this new, weird sport" upon my arrival. Though the sticks are from 1980 and the game is completely foreign to the kids, we have a ton of fun. The students are totally open to trying new things and go crazy during the games (chants, goal celebrations, and more). Just another example of how grateful I feel here in Chile...I get to share my passion for hockey with 30+ Chilean children!

I was hoping to write more about these last few days, but I have to go get ready for class (some 5th graders asked me to visit their class today...the younger kids are a lot more "carinoso" (loving) than the older kids), so I'm on my way to do that. Then play FH. And then lead a spinning class for 4 other teachers at the school.....

just another day in Chile :)

Paz y Amor!



The kids doing a little drill before scrimmaging...














The kids getting into the scrimmage/screaming "gol gol"...the ref was apparently too distracted taking pictures and missed the call...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're doing this! :) I want to see you soooon.

    Love,
    Drew

    ReplyDelete